The programme aimed to improve the population’s health in Estonia and reduce health inequalities by focusing on mental health problems and communicable diseases in prisons.
The programme addressed mental health, life-style (particularly harmful alcohol consumption) and health of vulnerable groups such as children and prisoners.
In Estonia, the mental health sphere suffers from the biggest gaps in financing and the lack of integration of relevant sectors and services. The programme area and activities were related to national priorities and legislative instruments such as the National Health Plan 2009-2020 (PDF)(NHP).
Developed in the programme:
- Integrated services concept for children´s mental health
- 4 mental health centres - Tallinn, Tartu, Pärnu and Ida-Viru
- 4 mental health counselling offices - Narva, Põlva, Võru and Valga
- 3 web portals - peaasi.ee, enesetunne.ee, amor.ee
- 4 smartphone apps were developed for preventing self-harm and suicidal behaviour, depression and sleeping problems.
- 958 people got training on public health topics
- 1015 youth attended mental health lectures
- 6535 e-counseling
- 2 social campaigns were carried out about alcohol harms and tolerance about heavy alcohol drinking - Uncle Alco and Passiv drinking
- 2 rehabilitation programs for providing long-term rehabilitation service for children with severe mental health problems
- Integrated services for supporting children´s mental healt: prevention, early detection and timely indicated services (PDF)
- Estonian Sexual Health Association. Quality standards for the online health counselling of young people: (226.82 KB, PDF)Guidelines for defining and measuring quality indicators on the example of sexual health and mental health web counselling (226.82 KB, PDF)
- Estonian Mental Health and Suicidology Institute. BASES FOR COUNSELLING FOR A WEB-BASED COUNSELLOR (233.83 KB, PDF)
- National Institute for Health Development. Possibilities for implementing alcohol policy on the local level (273 KB, PDF)
- Tallinn University. Area of application of the guidelines (216.03 KB, PDF)
- Ministry of Social Affairs. Survey "Awareness, stances andattitudes on mental health (4.62 MB, PDF)" (summary in English)